Friday, January 22, 2010

All Who Are Thirsty, Come













What do I post first? Well, this blog may take many different looks, but for now I figured I would try and keep this blog centered on what truth God was impressing on my heart for the day. Anything else is just life lived out in expectation of showing forth His glory through it all!

So, why not begin in a book that has made a great impact on my heart since coming to Seattle, Isaiah. Today I got to actually slow down, take some extended time and meditate over some Scripture. Isaiah 55:1 was in that portion of reading, and I still am chewing over it right now. There are so many implications in this one verse, and probably so much to talk about; but the goal is for God to receive glory through His Word and to let you know what God is teaching me through His Word.

The Gospel is here! In this one verse.


"Come, all you who are thirsty,
       come to the waters;
       and you who have no money,
       come, buy and eat!
       Come, buy wine and milk
       without money and without cost.


The call for my own heart today has been to "come!" But the hearts condition must be one of thirst! I won't desire to come unless I am thirsty. So God has been asking me today, Are you thirsty for me Paul? Are you thirsty for the waters that I provide? Interestingly enough, the call is for those who have no money! In my understanding, God is asking, Do you see you are destitute? Do you see you are like the son who squandered all his money and is eating out of a pig's trough? Do you really believe you come to me without money, without anything to give me? And now I think I'm getting to the heart of what God is trying to tell me here. Do I believe I am broken, that I am weak, that I am a jar of clay that in and of itself is quite useless? Or am I thinking I am something special, something worth giving attention to, self-sufficient, adequate and able to hold myself up? Will I boast in my so-called strengths?

But God's call is to the one with NO money. He's calling that one to "Come! Come, buy wine and milk! Buy and eat with Me! It's free! There is no amount of money that can purchase what I have, there is no cost of your own for what I give!

And then the Gospel hit me with its precious promises! What God gives as a free gift is only because it has already been purchased and had a great cost to it! Communion and relationship with God cost him his own communion with his Son! Jesus purchased this with His own blood, for He was wounded for my transgressions and by His stripes I have been healed (Isaiah 53)!! Jesus died so that I could buy wine and milk without money and without cost! He died so that I could COME!

Without Jesus paying for it all I wouldn't even be able to come. I would be lost in my self-sufficiency and pride, a shattered jar of clay. And in this, the good news is a herald to all who would listen! It is good news for my heart today. Jesus died a bloody, costly, death to secure for Himself those whom He loves. Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe, sin had left a crimson stain, yet He washed it white as snow!

Do you thirst? Have you come to the waters that God has provided already through Jesus? Do you know there is wine and milk offered to you freely? Trust in Jesus. Fly to Jesus. Believe in Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Well...what a fantastic first post! Thanks for giving me some things to chew on...I had no idea you started a bolg! Thanks for telling me! :P How exciting though. Love yah!

    ReplyDelete