Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Advent|Dec.18th ~Celebrating our Rescuer's Coming!



Sarah & I would like to share with you one of our "first" traditions (if we can call it a tradition yet). We decided to get an Advent calendar for our Christmas season! 1. Because I don't remember the last time I ever went through an Advent calendar 2. Because it's cool and we live in Seattle 3. Because it's biblical (thought I should add this one). We are celebrating Advent, because the word means "coming," and reminds Sarah & I of the best "coming" there ever was! The arrival of our Rescuer, Jesus Christ!

 December 18th! Day 18!

Today's reading came from Luke 2:33-35.

    "And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him. And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, 'Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.'"

Though many love to celebrate Christmas because it reminds them of Jesus' coming, many do not. Many have chosen to remove even Christmas from their vocabulary, possibly because it reminds them of Christ, the name found within the word. Plenty of other words have replaced Christmas, such as "seasons greetings," "happy holidays," "joyous holiday," "winter break," "best wishes," "warmest thoughts," and more. If the word Christ creates such a controversy these days, it can only be understood that the same was true for Jesus in His day. And it was.

Simeon's quote above reminded Sarah and I that Jesus wasn't accepted by everybody. Opposition and calamity and hardship were part of his life. He even warned those whom He called to follow Him that it wasn't going to be an easy road. There were no hotel overnights where he was traveling. No wealth and luxury. He even stated that many nights He would be found homeless and without a bed to sleep on. 

Even his own parents would have a hard time with him and his words. But that is what Jesus' ministry did. He was the God-man, sent to convict hearts and show everyone what they believed. This is what Jesus still does and continues to do. He reveals what is inside our hearts, whether we accept Him as our friend or reject Him as our enemy.

"...Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also)..."

This same dividing sword didn't just cut through Mary's soul a long time ago. It cuts through all of our souls. We all have to ask the same question. Is Jesus going to be my enemy or my friend? Will I trust in my own strength and believe my own truth? Will I reject His help and His salvation? Or will I trust in His words and trust that He has my best in mind? Do I know that I'm a sinner, helpless, lost, alone and in need of His salvation?

From one who has received Jesus as Savior, come to rescue me, I can say that He is worth it! Jesus is the only thing that truly satisfies my heart!

"If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you,'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water." John 4:10


No comments:

Post a Comment