Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dwelling on Good Friday

Here’s what God has brought to my mind concerning Good Friday. It is going to be a solemn night, a bloody night. This particular Friday was certainly a bloody day in the books of history. The afflictions my Savior Jesus went through were certainly bloody, and dwelling upon His death shocks me; to think of what He “endured” (Hebrews 12) during His crucifixion. Tonight will make me cringe, it will shock me and make me shed tears of sorrow-because I think people that were witnessing the event were doing the same. Jesus’ mother for instance! I can’t imagine her having to look upon her son in the condition He was in.


And of course, Good Friday is reminding me that my sins took Jesus to this bloody moment, His blood had to be shed so that my sins could be forgiven and remembered no more! What was so horrific is part of what we will be singing for all eternity in heaven. In fact, Jesus still has the scars-the holes in his hands, most likely the stripes on His back-to remind us all of that glorious moment. What seemed to be so horrific is what Jesus glories and boasts about! That was the same moment that He conquered Satan, Sin and Death! He walks around with those wounds still there probably to remind Himself of the price He went through to purchase His bride. Always there to remind Him! I want to be like Thomas when I get to heaven. I want to ask Jesus if I can touch His wounds and see the evidence of what He went through to purchase me as His beloved Son. I can’t wait to see those scars.

So for me, this will be dark, solemn, aching, cringing, bloody. Tonight is for me to remember the afflictions that Jesus undertook. He bore my sins on His own body on the tree. Physically He bore my sin through His stripes, spiritually He bore the cup of wrath from His Father for my sins. It was the darkest of nights. And yet, it was a glorious night. A night that I will conintinue to sing about from today into eternity. This is the greatest of nights then, and the greatest of weekends. Sunday was His resurrection. I serve a RISEN King! I serve a POWERFUL King. I serve a LIFE-GIVING King. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment