Sunday, April 11, 2010

My Father's Heart Beats Strong

We'd play catch in the backyard
Two gloves and a ball
You'd throw it so high
I'd loose sight of it all

There was little league and wiffle ball,
Hockey and football, basketball, golf,
And other sports, we played it all!

Card games in our trailer tent,
Chess games that would never end,
Long hiking trips and biking trails,
Father-son outings, and campfire tales

Vacation was makin the trip to the beach
Boogey boards, sand castles, paddle ball, frisbee
Track ball, Bocce ball, and everything else
You "packed a punch," a lunch, and always your pretzels

From Up and Down, to Cribbage rounds
Bruises and scrapes from falling down
Your wisdom received, though hard to take in
Has kept me from shipwreck, prolonging my end

I've called you my Father for so many days
Daddy, Pops, and many other names;
But Jesus Lover, now that is one name
I've not called you enough, and I want that to change

For in trials and hardships, in fear and in doubt
There's only been one name that lifts you right out
You've clung to Him tightly, now moreso than ever
It's Jesus, Your Savior, Your Best Friend, Your Lover

This one thing I cling to, I've known for so long
Because he loves Jesus, my father's heart beats strong.

2 comments:

  1. Paul,
    This poem is precious!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paulie Parker, you always were a deep man, and this poem is as deep as the sea...Your dad has blessed so many, including me! Thank you so much for sharing your heart! Please let him know that we are praying for him!

    ReplyDelete