Monday, March 15, 2010

Faces and Veils and Tents?

Amazing... I just can't get over this passage that speaks of God's glory. Of course I'm thinking right now of one particular passage among MANY that continually speak of the glory of God. Here's been the one the God has recently directed me to.

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.


Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart...

And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. (2 Corinthians 3:18-4:1, 3-7)
 
Wow, I have not the time nor want to take up all the space to speak of every truth found in this passage, but what a revelation this is! I am continually beholding the glory of God! If Christ is mine, I have this Light that is now shining within me in my proverbial jar of clay (my body). The Light is the knowledge of the glory of God seen in the face of Jesus Christ! So how am I beholding the glory of God continually? Through keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus, the Light! What is ALREADY true of me? I am displaying the glory of God!!
 
But how so, you might ask? Well, my face has already been unveiled through the saving work of God the Spirit, therefore I AM beholding the glory of God! Not only am I beholding this heavy, brilliant weightiness called GLORY, but this brilliance, this Light, is shining in my heart!! I am carrying it about in this tent (see chapter 5) the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God!
 
The "tent" is a great picture to put in your mind. You remember (hopefully you've experienced this) times when someone has turned a light on inside a camping tent? It creates a glow that can be seen a good distance away. Even the smallest of light that is lit within the tent hits the walls of the tent and creates a glow that is visible from the outside. Do you see the parallel now? I am like a walking tent (yeah, maybe this is a funny picture to think of, though I do remember walking around with a toy tent over my head when I was young!), and whatever is shining inside this tent of mine is what is hitting the walls and creating a glow that is visible to those looking at me! What is this glow? It is the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. This is what is SHINING in our hearts! It's a reality for those with unveiled faces!


Listen to Jesus' prayer for us in John 17 (this just blows me away!) The GLORY that you (God) have given to me, I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one (v.22). Jesus prayed with a promise, that we have been given the glory that was also given to Jesus the Son from the Father! This is amazing truth!
 
So what? What's the point of all this GLORY talk? Please be blown away with the gift given to us, with the stewardship placed upon us in being "tents" that shine forth the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ! You are no more deeply loved than this! You have direct access to God's glory, you are now vessels carrying about God's glory, you are now lights SHINING in darkness! There couldn't be a sharper contrast. You stand out amidst this world! You just do! You have the Light within you!
 
Lastly, not only do I have the glory of God within me, but I am made specifically to bring God glory! In being a tent that displays God's glory I am bringing glory to my Creator! I was created for this purpose!
 
everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.
(Isaiah 43:7)
 
Yikes, so this became longer than anticipated! What do I want to leave you with? In all of this, I think it's still important to realize that we cannot give out what we haven't first received ourselves. Truly receive this truth for your own heart. Believe it in your own life before letting others know! Let it be seen in your life before you tell others to display the glory that is within them! Receive this truth first I pray, before you give it to another!
 
And for the one who may be reading this and is lost in darkness? Come to Jesus! Come to the Light, who is Jesus! Come, quench your thirsty soul! He has paid it all, taken every sin of yours upon Himself; died in your place! Now He freely offers you streams of living water! (Revelation 22:17)

2 comments:

  1. Glory, Glory!! Thank you, Paul!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that passage of Scripture! May we shine forth the glory and light of God as Moses did when he met with the Lord! The amazing thing is...we don't have to veil our face!

    ReplyDelete